Perfect Pepperbox

A few weeks back I posted a blog about the amazing Pepperbox gun. At the end of that blog I mentioned, in passing, that I thought perhaps I could try my hand at making one. I was moved to the idea when I read a blog about how crappy it was when folks did strip downs on Nerf guns. WHAT? I love strip downs. They can be so creative and fun! But the effing Steam Police (the stitch counters of the steampunk cosplay) seem to think that if you didn't crap out the components, it isn't steampunk.

At first I said bully to them. Much in the manner of that potty mouthed Cartman, "I do what I want!"

Then I got to thinking about it. Sounded more like a challenge than anything else. Were they saying I couldn't make one from scratch just because I liked the strip downs? Well, I would show them!

And guess what, fearless readers? I dooooooood it! I made my very own steampunk Pepperbox! WOOOOT!




First I started with a 5 foot long light weight aluminum pipe, and cut it into about 8 inch sections. That was the hardest part. Then I spray painted the sections a light copper color.











I took these and shoved them into a PVC coupler and bushing which I painted and glued together.












The handle was the hardest part. Took me three days of strenuos shopping to finally find what worked. And here it is. Yes, its a wooden penguin figurine. And it worked wonderfully!





The rest of it was made from a few leather straps, some carpet tacks and a quick swipe with a stencil for the flourish, and viola! I have my very own homemade steampunk gun.




It feels good in the hand too. The aluminum gives it a hefty weight, but not so much that it's impossible to carry around.





Well that's my gun. It was fun to make and it shows the Steam Police that yes I can make one if I want to. Nanner-nanner-boo-boo!

Later taters!