Very Villanelle

I've recently joined up with a FaceBook group that has inspired my poetic side again. It's like a return to my roots, for poetry is where I began my love for the written word. Ah, I remember the days. When the husband and I would snuggle up like kittens and read aloud from a variety of poetry chap books. Some our own. Some others. Some famous. Some not so famous.

I still get all wiggly when he starts spouting off with Tom 'O Bedlam or some such.

Anywho, I bring this up because I have, as of late, fallen back into form poetry. Specifically the villanelle. I've posted a round or two on yea olde FaceBooke, and though folks seem to like them, I am getting quite a few emails asking what in the hell is a villanelle?

So here we are. The villanelle.

Here is what yea olde wikki has to say about it:

"A villanelle is a poetic form that entered English-language poetry in the 19th century from the imitation of French models.The word derives from the Italian villanella from Latin villanus (rustic). A villanelle has only two rhyme sounds. The first and third lines of the first stanza are rhyming refrains that alternate as the third line in each successive stanza and form a couplet at the close. A villanelle is nineteen lines long, consisting of five tercets and one concluding quatrain."

If that confused you, allow me to give you a visual aid. They key to the villanelle is the repetition of words and rhyme. There are only two rhymes, A and B. And the refrains are repeated throughout. Like so:
  • Refrain 1 (A1)
  • Line 2 (b)
  • Refrain 2 (A2)
  • Line 4 (a)
  • Line 5 (b)
  • Refrain 1 (A1)
  • Line 7 (a)
  • Line 8 (b)
  • Refrain 2 (A2)
  • Line 10 (a)
  • Line 11 (b)
  • Refrain 1 (A1)
  • Line 13 (a)
  • Line 14 (b)
  • Refrain 2 (A2)
  • Line 16 (a)
  • Line 17 (b)
  • Refrain 1 (A1)
  • Refrain 2 (A2)
  •  It's a fairly simple form, but very complicated to master. A number of excellent ones have been written, including this one from Dylan Thomas:

    Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

    Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

    Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. 


    Wow. Heavy stuff there. I could only hope to reach that level of awesomeness one day. I've tried my hand at it many, many times. Some were acceptable and a few I am quite proud of.
    Here was my first attempt from years ago:

    Constant
     
    Yes life is like a ship at sea.
    And from the moment we depart
    For death we sail eternally.

    Some let the wind blow naturally
    Then follow their drifting heart
    Yes life is like a ship at sea.

    Most place their rig at jeopardy
    And realize this from the start
    For death we sail eternally

    Some guide their vessel carefully
    As though it is a treasured art
    Yes life is like a ship at sea.

    Most view this as a fallacy
    As no matter how well we chart
    For death we sail eternally

    Each, a separate Odyssey,
    Towards that final goal we dart.
    Yes life is like a ship at sea.
    For death we sail eternally.

    Not too shabby. But then again, meh. I was criticized on more than one forum for 'using to direct of a metaphor' where instead I should have 'hinted and insinuated at the point.' I wrote a few in between, most of which I've misplaced or deleted on purpose! Flash forward to now, here we are years later and I've tried out the form again. I am very pleased with the results.

    A Handful of Flesh

    Darkness reveals what light denies
    Upon the canvas of the bed
    The hands see different from the eyes

    For in the gloom we lose our guise
    And sense our sights instead
    Darkness reveals what light denies

    You trace her curves, her lows, her highs
    Her thickened thighs she’ll spread
    The hands see different from the eyes

    So blindly touch, feast on her sighs
    While hunger swells your head
    Darkness reveals what light denies

    Drink full the mystery of your prize
    For touch can’t be misled
    The hands see different from the eyes

    A sensation second but to her cries
    As through the shadows you tread
    Darkness reveals what light denies
    The hands see different from the eyes.


    As rhythmic as a squeaking bed, eh?

    I reckon I like the villanelle because its form almost begs for you to attempt to construct a narrative, but it's nearly impossible. I love that challenge. And one day, I will master it!

    I leave you now with a man who has definitely mastered the form. But then again, is there a kind of poem he can't write? I think not.

    Later taters,

    Tonia