Darlings of Decay: Anna Taborska



I recently was invited to participate in an anthology of female authors who write zombie related material. A lot of great ladies are involved, thirty two in all, and the end product is just amazing. It is free from several places and only .99 cents on Amazon. Here is the skinny on it:


With over 325,000 words and featuring some of Amazon's Best Selling Female Authors of Horror, this is certainly not your typical anthology book!

Sit back as your favorite authors of zombie lit take you on a wild, horrifying ride that will leave you breathless. Come and meet the women who love to entertain you with their own unique versions of the zombie apocalypse.







 

Since I was lucky enough to fall into this great group of ladies, I thought I would take a chance to introduce you to a few of them. Here is our first guest, Anna Taborska, who took some time to answer five little questions for us.
 

1) What got you interested in writing about zombies?
I’ve had nightmares about zombies ever since I can remember and, since I started writing, I’ve found that weaving my fears into my fiction is both cathartic and therapeutic. I think I’ve been fascinated by and terrified of Zombies ever since seeing George Romero’s Night of the Living Dead on TV when I was a kid.

2) Do you think books by women tend to carry distinctly feminine covers, regardless of the subject matter, or do you think the industry treats woman the same as male authors?
I would say that yes, I do think that books by women frequently carry distinctly feminine covers, regardless of the subject. Personally I find feminine covers rather off-putting as I assume (probably wrongly) that I wouldn’t enjoy the content. Worryingly, there are probably a lot of readers with the same instinctive reticence towards books with feminine covers as I have.

3) Tell us a bit about your story in darlings of decay.
I wrote my story in Darlings of Decay Picture This – when I was in my teens. I subsequently put the story in a drawer and forgot about it, until I started writing professionally some twenty years later. I figured the story was too short to do anything with, and then I came across the concept of flash fiction – the notion of telling a story in couple of hundred words – and, to my surprise, people liked my story. It’s very short – probably too short – but I hope it evokes something of what it might feel like to suddenly find that the occupants of the local cemetery are out to get you.    

4) If you HAD to choose, which would you rather do: eat the entire F section of an encyclopedia, or lick a bus station bathroom floor from corner to corner?
No contest – I would definitely prefer to eat the entire F section of an encyclopedia. I hate germs, but I have no problem with eating paper – and, it being from an encyclopedia, I might even learn something! I am of course assuming that I’d be given ample time for my meal.

5) What is your greatest fear?
“The possibility that love is not enough.” I think that superb line from Twin Peaks encapsulates all my greatest fears (war, death, pain, loss, violence, abandonment, ridicule and so on). Though perhaps not spiders.
*****

Anna Taborska was born in London, England. She is a filmmaker and horror writer. Anna has written and directed two short fiction films, two documentaries and award-winning TV drama The Rain Has Stopped. Her stories have appeared in various anthologies, including the Black Books of Horror and Terror Tales of London in the UK, and Best New Writing 2011, Best New Werewolf Tales Vol.1 and The Best Horror of the Year Volume Four in the US. Anna’s short story Bagpuss was an Eric Hoffer Award Honoree, and the screenplay adaptation of her story Little Pig was a finalist in the Shriekfest Film Festival Screenplay Competition, 2009. Anna’s debut short story collection, For Those Who Dream Monsters, is due out in late 2013, with the release of a novelette collection, Bloody Britain, planned for 2014. You can view Anna’s resume here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1245940/ , watch her films and book trailers here: http://www.youtube.com/annataborska and learn more about her short stories here: http://annataborska.wix.com/horror .